Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Play Therapy! Yay!!!

I got a call yesterday(5-17-2011) that they were going to start Riley on his play therapy. She asked if Wednesdays at 2:30 would be a good time, and it works perfectly! So she said that Jamie would be getting in contact with me to see if this Wednesday(today) would be good, or she might be able to come out the following week. I got a call later in the day from Jamie, and she would make it out this week. Woo hoo! I was so excited to get the ball rolling on these therapies.

Jamie came out today at 2:30 with her reusable walmart bag full of toys. As soon as she walked in Riley had interest in the car toys she had with the ramp. He played with the cars for about 5 minutes while Jamie and I talked for a bit. I really like Jamie. She has a daughter who is a little bit older than Riley, and she is also crafty just like me! Soon Riley caught eye of the led light toy that Jade had found. He thought that was funny. 


Next up was a piggy bank. This piggy bank was what caught his attention. He sat there for about 30 minutes or better playing with this piggy bank. Jamie would turn the piggy bank so that it was more difficult for Riley to put the coins in to try and get him to figure out how to do it. Riley seems to do very well with his right hand, but he just didn't get the hang of putting those coins in with his left hand when she had the slot on the bank vertically. He really did like that bank though. He would put them in, and take them out. He looked that little piggy over to try and figure him out. I think I might be getting him one for his birthday next month.

After the piggy came bubbles. He wasn't too sure about them at first. He thought they were funny, but he didn't want to touch them. After seeing Jade run around after them, and a little coaxing though he was in the chase. He got so excited over those bubbles. Jumping up and down and flapping his arms.

Another thing that I liked about Jamie was she was using signs to help communicate with him. She used the "more" sign sseveral times, and tried to get him to do it too, but Riley doesn't like hand over hand ( here they will take their hands and try to get him to make the sign). Another one that she did was "all done."

Jamie had brought several other toys with her too including some nesting cubes which Riley played with breifly, but he was just more interested in that piggy bank.

Overall I am very pleased, and look forward to next weeks vist. I am sure both Riley and Jade are ready for next week too. I tis so nice to be able to get Riley the therapy he needs without having to leave my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment